The National Cemetery

 

        Shiloh National Cemetery was established in 1866 as a resting place for the 3,500 Union soldiers who died at the battle of Shiloh.  After the battle of Shiloh, the Union dead were buried in mass gravesites and smaller individual graves throughout the battlefield.  Shortly after the end of the war, these bodies were moved from their original resting places to this National Cemetery, located near Pittsburg Landing, along the beautiful Tennessee River.  

        Most of the 3,500 graves are unmarked, due to the lack of means to identify the remains of the soldiers.  Many regiments have their own sections of the cemetery, including a regiment from Wisconsin, whose honored dead rest on the bluff overlooking the Tennessee River (pictured above).  This cemetery, along with the rest of this battlefield, truly make this "place of peace" a magical site. 

 

                    

1